Some technologies can truly disrupt the status quo
New technologies come and go. Yet some technologies can truly disrupt the status quo:
Disruptive technologies: Advances that will transform life, business, and the global economy, a report from the McKinsey Global Institute, highlights 12 technologies that could drive truly massive economic transformations and disruptions in the coming years:
- Mobile Internet – Increasingly inexpensive and capable mobile computing devices and Internet connectivity
- Automation of knowledge work – Intelligent software systems that can perform knowledge work tasks involving unstructured commands and subtle judgments
- The Internet of things – Networks of low-cost sensors and actuators for data collection, monitoring, decision making, and process optimization
- Cloud technology – Use of computer hardware and software resources delivered over a network or the Internet, often as a service
- Advanced robotics – Increasingly capable robots with enhanced senses, dexterity, and intelligence used to automate tasks or augment humans
- Autonomous and near-autonomous vehicles – Vehicles that can navigate and operate with reduced or no human intervention
- Next-generation genomics – Fast, low-cost gene sequencing, advanced big data analytics, and synthetic biology (“writing” DNA)
- Energy storage – Devices or systems that store energy for later use, including batteries
- 3D printing – Additive manufacturing techniques to create objects by printing layers of material based on digital models
- Advanced materials – Materials designed to have superior characteristics (e.g., strength, weight, conductivity) or functionality
- Advanced oil and gas exploration and recovery – Exploration and recovery techniques that make extraction of unconventional oil and gas economical
- Renewable energy – Generation of electricity from renewable sources with reduced harmful climate impact
The potential benefits of the technologies discussed in the report are tremendous – but so are the challenges of preparing for their impact. If business leaders wait until these technologies are exerting their full influence on the economy, it will be too late to capture the benefits or react to the consequences.
Keep organisational strategies updated
Business leaders should keep their organisational strategies updated in the face of continually evolving technologies, ensure that their organisations continue to look ahead, and use technologies to improve internal performance.
Disruptive technologies can change the game for businesses, creating entirely new products and services, as well as shifting pools of value between producers or from producers to consumers.
In today’s business reality the level of complexity and the increased rate of change cause challenges for many leaders. Motivating people to change direction, building new strategies, transforming business models, and adopting new ways of collaboration. Quite a job!
Short URL & title:
Disruptive technologies that will transform business — http://www.torbenrick.eu/t/r/stx
If you enjoyed this article, please take 5 seconds to share it on your social network. Thanks!