Successful transformation also generates “soft” benefits
Sometimes we wrongly assume that change is all about improving financial results – stock price, profitability, sales. We forget that successful transformation also generates “soft” benefits, such as trust, new organizational capabilities, and emotional commitment among employees.
Increasing engagement should be a strategic priority
But even if we strive for financial and non-financial results, additional perils await: painful emotions that boil up in our workforces whenever we ask people to think or do things differently. Whether it’s anger, alarm, or confusion, we must ease those feelings by cultivating an environment of trust, involvement and empowerment.
Have you ever been “talked at” instead of had someone “talk with”? It doesn’t feel good to have someone talk at you. It leaves you feeling like you might as well not have been there at all.
Increase engagement when leading change
It is much more powerful asking questions. Below 16 types of questions you can ask to increase engagement when leading change:
- What do you think about this change?
- Do you know why the changes are taking place?
- How do you feel about this change?
- What do you see your role as in this change?
- What is your opinion about this change?
- What is your experience with this type of change?
- What are you working on and how will you be impacted by this change?
- What are your ideas about this change?
- Would you change anything about this change?
- Why do you think this change is needed (or not)?
- If you could tell the CEO one thing about this upcoming change, what would it be?
- What are you already doing in your day to day work that supports the change?
- What areas do you feel will be a challenge for you to adjust?
- What is your experience with past changes?
- Do you think this change is for good?
- What would help you most during these changes?
No interruptions. No, “yeah, but … ”
Important note … ask these questions and listen. No interruptions. No, “yeah, but…” Listen authentically. The group or person you are talking with will recognize your sincere intent which establishes connection – the foundation of any successful change.
Short URL & title:
When leading change increase engagement by asking questions — https://www.torbenrick.eu/t/r/igp
If you enjoyed this article, please take 5 seconds to share it on your social network. Thanks!